couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Plugins First Draft
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 07:57:05 GMT
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Benoit!
>
> > - installation and upgrade via HTTP
>
> You'd remind me one thing:
>
> http://davispj.com/2010/09/26/new-couchdb-externals-api.html
>
> Could this plugins be just one shoot wrapper for proxy with external
> process / os_daemon setup? I see there is only need to let them
> announce to CouchDB what they can do or handle some part of CouchDB
> functionality (e.g. slots concept).

Well,

In my opinion the couchdb http external api  is just an hack waiting
something better. When I am thinking to couchdb i am thinking to one of its
core feature aka master-master replication. On wich I add "p2p". So maybe
my view is biased. But based on this view for me plugin should also be
replicable. Using external api would make it hard to replicate though it's
possible by copying content of a doc on the fs. To be honest I don't think
it's a good way to handle that.

Also having something like http://redis.io/commands/eval open the door to a
new way to extend couchdb. Any programmer could do it even non erlang
programmers. Which could be quite interresting.

- benoƮt