couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wickedg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: branching in couchdb
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 03:29:01 GMT
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Eli, Benoit linked to a variant of it in the beginning of this thread.  There's a
lot to like about it, and most of it is very similar to the workflow we're converging on in
this project.  The big difference is that in git-flow the HEAD of "master" is always the latest
tagged release, and that "develop" is where the day-to-day completed work lands.

I didn't realize it was a direct variant; the lack of an explicit
release branch seemed like a significant change in process (perhaps
appropriate for the poster's use case, but doesn't seem to fit what
I've seen of CouchDB).  Note that at my work we easily changed the
git-flow "branch 'master' is last stable release" and "branch
'development' is integration for next release" defaults to be 'stable'
and 'master' respectively.

> Personally I don't think I would coerce CouchDB into the nominal git-flow shape, but
I thought I'd note the similarities in case others find the tooling really appealing.  Cheers,

As an outsider, aside from naming convention, it's not clear what the
mismatch is; care to expand?  Of course, if this is getting off-topic,
feel free to let this part of the thread die.  :)

Cheers,
Eli