couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Allowing merge commits to master branch
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 09:44:42 GMT
I wonder if we can loosen the hook script so it allows merge commits
between branches but not within them? The main reason merge commits are
disliked is when, usually by accident, a merge commit happens within a
single branch. That makes for confusing history merely because it was
pushed after someone else had updated the branch. If we all stick to the
rule of working on branches and only merging down when complete, this
shouldn't matter, but a script that prevents accidents would be very handy.