couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: why etc/default.d & etc/local.d
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 00:43:55 GMT
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2012, at 00:15 , Paul J Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'd rather leave them or remove the functionality. Hiding the config
> chain seems wrong.
>
> +1 on definite decisions, and +1 on keeping things as is.

The functionality is to pass a config directory via the command line with
the -A switch.

It would be the sort of thing where the debian package would have
COUCHDB_OPTIONS="-A /etc/couchdb/default.d -A /etc/couchdb/local.d" in
/etc/default/couchdb. On RHEL it would be /etc/sysconfig/couchdb.

The change would be that running the couchdb start script by hand (not
using the init script) would probably no longer assume the existence of
these directories nor pass the equivalent switch implicitly.

Again, I'm +0, but just wanted to make sure we were clear on what's going
on. The "-A" flag is not in question. Only the implicit -A on these two
directories and the presence of these (empty) directories in our source
tree.