couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cors testing build
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 22:36:35 GMT
./configure --enable-js-trunk

The rationale is that in the newest builds of spidermonkey (actually
post-1.8.5, which Debian ships in testing), a bug was corrected which was
previously tolerated by the interpreter. The result is that our typical
map/reduce examples break.

If I recall correctly,

function (doc) {
  emit(doc._id, 1);
}

becomes

var map = function (doc) {
  emit(doc._id, 1);
}

In other words, top-level, anonymous functions are no longer allowed and we
have not yet decided exactly what to do about it. Some attempts were made
to automatically forward-port old views, but they are brittle enough that
we haven't decided to do it automatically.

Therefore, building with ./configure --enable-js-trunk is there as a little
warning that you have to take care with how you write your views until we
decide how to proceed with js > 1.8.5 view functions.