couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We should be at ApacheCon North America in February 2013
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 14:00:16 GMT

On Nov 8, 2012, at 01:35 , Simon Metson <simon@cloudant.com> wrote:

> Fwiw I think there are two (maybe three...) talks and one training session going in from
Cloudant. Hopefully I'll be there with some other folk.

That’s a great start! Some more activity and we are good! :)

Jan
--

> On Wednesday, 7 November 2012 at 23:44, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the subject says it. All infos are here:
>>
>> http://na.apachecon.com
>>
>> (It is in lovely Portland Oregon, if you need any excuse, February 24-28, 2013 :)
>>
>> I likely can’t make it myself, so I am counting on you guys to pick up the bat!
>>
>> There are multiple ways of getting involved. I hope we can show a strong CouchDB
presence.

>> 1. Attend. Just get a ticket and go. If you are a committer, special rates apply.
(If you are on the fence about contributing, now is a good time to gain the commit bit in
time :) — The more CouchDB folks attend, the better a time everybody will have, and the
more we can show the world that we are awesome :)

>> 2. Give a talk. There are plenty of things to talk about in CouchDB land, why not
do some of it? :) — Below is a list of potential topics. For some of them I have ready talks,
abstracts, sometimes even slides and recordings from previous talks, all of which I am happy
to share and make available for you to take and make your own.

>> - Introduction to CouchDB
>> - Introduction to BigCouch
>> - Introduction to PouchDB
>> - Introduction to TouchDB
>> - Advanced CouchDB / BigCouch / PouchDB / TouchDB
>> - Building Apps with a distributed databases (dealing with conflicts and whatnot)
>> - The CouchDB Implementation.
>> - CouchDB Grows Up: the state of the CouchDB community
>> - CouchDB and Git at Apache, sharing experiences
>> - Your CouchDB Use Case (why you use it and how)
>>
>> The rules are outline in the Call for Papers:
>>
>> http://na.apachecon.com/cfp/
>>
>> The one caveat is the deadline, it is *this Sunday*, November 11th, no late-comers.
I hope we can still get a bunch of things in, I’m counting on you. Especially the US &
Canada based non-committers here, this is a great way to give back to the CouchDB project
if you want to.

>> If you think you are not qualified, bullshit, if you read this, you will be fine
to give most of the talks above. If you have anything else in mind, submit that, too :)

>> If you need any assistance writing the abstract, making slides later and rehearsing,
please get in touch, myself & others here are happy to help.

>> If you think this is intimidating, it most certainly is (lot’s of smart people
that one doesn’t know, foreign city, etc). I guarantee it is worth getting over this. The
Apache folks a friendly bunch, even if they come over rough sometimes on mailing lists. It
is really nice to put names to faces and I’m sure you will make a friend or two.

>> Plus, this is a great opportunity to check out on other projects. I am currently
at ApacheCon EU and I learned tons about Cassandra and Lucene, both of which have implemented
things we might want to look at in the future.

>> Last but not least, there is a budget for helping with travel expenses.
>>

>> 3. Run / attend a community event. The two days before ApacheCon proper are reserved
for all sorts of community events like BarCamps, Hackathons, Trainings and whatnot. I’d
love to see a CouchHack-like event there, where devs and users can come together, and teach
and learn and hack together. All we need is a space to do things. I know we have friends in
Portland that could help with that. It’d be a matter of attending and volunteering to help
to be around. — I’d love if one of you could step up and say, “Hey, I’ll take this”
and then you, or a small group, can set everything up and invite everybody to come.

>> I’ve done this before in Berlin and it is great fun and not a lot of work, so I
agreed to do it again (the promised email is forthcoming) in Berlin. If you think you can
do it, but need help, let us know loud and clear, together we can do this!

>> * * *
>>
>> If you have any questions, please get in touch. I hope we can turn this into a great
event for the CouchDB community, by the CouchDB community :)