couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: wiki main page needs to be ported to website one page
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 14:26:16 GMT
Hey John,

thanks for the feedback.

On Nov 5, 2012, at 02:24 , john.tiger <john.tigernassau@gmail.com> wrote:

> building from source is always a good refresher in using the documentation - in my case,
it meant going to the web site.   Er, sorry, the web site really sucks, really bad.  Cant'
find anything. The one page idea is actually nice but the content is totally useless.

Noah and I made that site.

People building from source were not in the group of people we designed this for. While linked
through to the wiki, the dev information should be findable, but the focus on the front page
is to give a quick intro into what CouchDB is and have enough pointers for everybody else.

> But I did manage to find the wiki - the main wiki page is excellent - it's exactly what
the web site should be.  btw the install instructions on the wiki for linux are very good
and easy to follow - kudos to whoever wrote it.  One addition might be a reminder to remove
any system package that might be installed (some of us need that) - and maybe a note about
the dev test

> I saw some discussion re the one page but wasn't following it.  Are there plans to port
the main wiki page over to the web site ?  is someone already doing that or does it need help
? or does someone actually think the website is good as is ?

Since the website is a pain to maintain, we moved most everything to the wiki, so we all can
contribute easily. The One-Page is merely a quick intro and pointers into the wiki.

This isn’t to say the website is all perfect, but I don't think we should revert that particular
decision. If you have any patches for the website, I’m happy to review & apply.

The source lives here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/site

Cheers
Jan