couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git help
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2012 22:47:04 GMT
Nothing too bad, it looks like you merged the master branch into your
docs branch and then pushed that to the asf docs branch. This is
useful for finding merge conflicts and is actually encouraged, if
not with a different technique (rebasing).

I don’t know how git pull is set up for you locally, but I assume that’s
the culprit here.

I usually to this:

# before work starts
git fetch origin
git checkout mybranch
git rebase origin/mybranch # now my local copy is up to the server’s state
                           # think of this as svn up
# do my work
git push origin mybranch # push to origin branch with name mybranch.
# happytiger

git pull / git push are usually set up to sync multiple branches (iirc, the
very latest release of git changes the default on that to just the current
branch, which my rebase & push origin mybranch above, does.

Hope this helps
Jan