couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Focus
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 14:13:57 GMT

On Nov 6, 2012, at 17:03 , Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> I think this is a great initiative Jan.
>
> I am sure there are a few people right now who are thinking "Hey, but I am
> working on X, and Jan didn't mention X, so is X important? Or is Jan
> telling me I shouldn't be working on X?" Well, I understand that. As it
> happens, I am working on the docs, and Jan didn't mention them.
>
> But I don't think the idea is that anything not on the list is unimportant,
> or that if you're working on something else, then you should stop. Just
> that we need to have a regularly updated list of our current PROJECT LEVEL
> focus.
>
> And so, with that caveat out of the way...
>
> Jan, as this is your initiative, can I ask you to start a page on the wiki?
> We should document this.
>
> I think the wiki page should probably have three things on it. A list of
> our current focus areas. An archived list of previous focus areas. And a
> list of areas to focus on in the future.
>
> I think we should also review this monthly. Each month, review the current
> focus areas, see what has been done and what has not. Archive the list.
> Create a new one for the current month. And decide on whether we want to
> add any other items. This should be a dev-level decision making process,
> perhaps in the first IRC meeting of the month.
>
> A monthly email to both user and dev, along with general project status,
> might be a good thing to come out of this too.
>
> Thoughts?

My intention with this thread is to try to create a “culture of ship”.
(I’ll be sending out t-shirts, when we succeed). I don’t think making
this a more formal thing isn’t going to do much.

I think the weekly status meetings are great way to formally keep
track of the progress we make through our collective roadmap (which
we also need to work on a little bit more structured, but one thing
at a time.

Let’s ship 1.3.0.

Jan