couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Ramage <ryan.ram...@gmail.com>
Subject Sub-Projects
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:15:51 GMT
Hey all,

I just wanted to poke around how to approach the idea of couchdb
'sub-projects' or project dependencies. I will give two up and coming
examples:

1. Futon.Next
2. Bundled ddoc/couchapp tool (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1574)

I *think* both of these projects probably would be best handled
outside of the couchdb source tree and be integrated into couch via
the build process. Maybe git submodules, or something that is still to
be decided. Regardless of the technology choice, here are some
questions I have no idea about.

1. Licence. For sure they will be Apache licensed to be compatible.
But is there some 'donate to Apache' process we have to go through?
2. Management. It would be nice to have releases of these projects
that fall outside the cadence of the couchdb release process. Just a
confirming that this is ok?
3. Commit bits. It would be nice if the projects were just github
first, pull request accepting, forking style projects, with no
structured overhead. The couchdb project would just point to the best
fork.

I tread lightly here, and hope not to stir bees. I ask out of my
ignorance, and for some clarity direction for those involved in the
work.

Thanks!

Ryan