couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: OTP releases and autotools
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:34:12 GMT
On 29 September 2012 13:43, Hans J Schroeder <hs@cloudno.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It would be great to have a universal, standardized build environment for CouchDB and
its variants. Additionally we should offer prebuilt packages because the average user likes
to start using CouchDB without having to hassle with the build.

Definitely.

> As CouchDB is so great for syncing with mobile apps we should also support iOS and Android
out of the box (if that is possible with the proposed build environment).

> - Hans
>
> On Sep 29, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This mail try to summarize the current build process and propose a
>> solution to integrate all requirements. Maybe it can be posted on the
>> wiki as a specification proposal ?

Done: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Build_Process

+1, and many thanks for the excellent summary Benoit.

Selfishly, I'd much prefer the proposed approach than the current one.
The reality is that autotools on Windows will *never* play cleanly due
to the horrible way the Erlang/OTP build process partially emulates
the gcc front-end, but not enough to support all the functionality we
require to builds NIFs etc.  Using rebar & an OTP-aligned process will
be a big win for all of our target platforms IMHO, and would allow
people to integrate CouchDB cleanly into erlang web framework projects
like ChicagoBoss or Nitrogen etc.

Noah made a good point a while back, that it should be possible (&
easy) to build CouchDB from a source .tar.gz *without* a network
connection. This would just require us distributing the rebar deps/
directory already filled with the appropriate branches, including
pre-built docs, in the release tarball. So I don't see this as being a
conflict, and then configure / make etc would provide a front end to
rebar.

The rebar changes I requested for Windows got committed a couple of
months or so ago, which is *awesome* it will mean the NIFs we use will
just compile OOTB, I think we have them all patched in refuge since
quite a while. This will make it possible to build CouchDB on Windows
with the MS SDK, rebar, optionally git, and an erlang release - it
should be significantly simpler & more open for other developers.

A+
Dave