couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <>
Subject Re: OTP releases and autotools
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:34:12 GMT
On 29 September 2012 13:43, Hans J Schroeder <> wrote:
> Hi,
> It would be great to have a universal, standardized build environment for CouchDB and
its variants. Additionally we should offer prebuilt packages because the average user likes
to start using CouchDB without having to hassle with the build.

> As CouchDB is so great for syncing with mobile apps we should also support iOS and Android
out of the box (if that is possible with the proposed build environment).
> - Hans
> On Sep 29, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> This mail try to summarize the current build process and propose a
>> solution to integrate all requirements. Maybe it can be posted on the
>> wiki as a specification proposal ?

+1, and many thanks for the excellent summary Benoit.

Selfishly, I'd much prefer the proposed approach than the current one.
The reality is that autotools on Windows will *never* play cleanly due
to the horrible way the Erlang/OTP build process partially emulates
the gcc front-end, but not enough to support all the functionality we
require to builds NIFs etc.  Using rebar & an OTP-aligned process will
be a big win for all of our target platforms IMHO, and would allow
people to integrate CouchDB cleanly into erlang web framework projects
like ChicagoBoss or Nitrogen etc.

Noah made a good point a while back, that it should be possible (&
easy) to build CouchDB from a source .tar.gz *without* a network
connection. This would just require us distributing the rebar deps/
directory already filled with the appropriate branches, including
pre-built docs, in the release tarball. So I don't see this as being a
conflict, and then configure / make etc would provide a front end to

The rebar changes I requested for Windows got committed a couple of
months or so ago, which is *awesome* it will mean the NIFs we use will
just compile OOTB, I think we have them all patched in refuge since
quite a while. This will make it possible to build CouchDB on Windows
with the MS SDK, rebar, optionally git, and an erlang release - it
should be significantly simpler & more open for other developers.

View raw message