couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: OTP releases and autotools
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:29:45 GMT
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
> Seems like the right thing for couchdb to do, but  I'm not sure I
> understand this fully. Do you mean that you'd like to (say)
> ./configure --use-this-snappy-library --use-that-other-library
> approach, and as a distributor you would be deciding at that point
> which OTP release & other dependencies are required, to build into
> your rpm or deb packaging tool?

In my ideal scenario, CouchDB comes with an INSTALL.txt that outlines
exactly what versions of dependencies are required (i.e. snappy-1.0.1
or newer), and configure would have a --with-system-snappy option.
That would allow me to encode the dependencies into my packaging
system, so it'll use whatever's already available and install the rest
before trying to build CouchDB.

Cheers,

Dirkjan