couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject website - should we target the devs a little more
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 07:24:17 GMT
Hi all,

Early in the morning I installed a new machine without anything around and
I couldn't remember the right link to the repository... So obviously I went
on our website to look at the link; But couldn't find it either. I couldn't
find it until I end to the Quick Links section. Which was after all logical
but ot so much intuitive (a dev is also a contributor ...).

Anyway I'm worried that this 1 page site isn't the appropriate way to
present the project.

1. This big font (at least on chrome) doesn't help to read at all. And
links can't be easily  read due  to the thickness of it too

2. We should have a real dev sections to target devs, presenting couchdb
internals & such like here :
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/development/index.html or
http://www.chromium.org/developers/  an not a simple wiki page . It's
important for other to present couchdb internals so other developer know
where to hack. And it's important to attract more devs to couchdb I think.

3. For other and I think the new doc site will help we should have
something like http://developer.android.com/index.html

On a side note I don't find the slogan "Apache CouchDB is a database that
uses JSON for documents, Javascript for MapReduce queries and regular HTTP
for an API" is quite good. If I came here for the first time I would say
"and?" .  Replications, Views, Rendering (couchapps) and Reliable &
Elastiic (when bigcouch will come) are imo some selling points that speak
more to the end user.

Anyway here is my post-reaction after losing more than 5 mn to find a link
on the website. I hope it can help to make our site better.

- benoit