couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OTP releases and autotools
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:40:25 GMT
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
>> Seems like the right thing for couchdb to do, but  I'm not sure I
>> understand this fully. Do you mean that you'd like to (say)
>> ./configure --use-this-snappy-library --use-that-other-library
>> approach, and as a distributor you would be deciding at that point
>> which OTP release & other dependencies are required, to build into
>> your rpm or deb packaging tool?
>
> In my ideal scenario, CouchDB comes with an INSTALL.txt that outlines
> exactly what versions of dependencies are required (i.e. snappy-1.0.1
> or newer), and configure would have a --with-system-snappy option.
> That would allow me to encode the dependencies into my packaging
> system, so it'll use whatever's already available and install the rest
> before trying to build CouchDB.

+1 This is the plan for the dynamic build. I think to be clean we
could support 2 builds:

- one using the apache couchdb sdk, which would build static releases.
It's needed for some platforms anyway (ios, android, windows, ....).
It would also help us to system a build environnement for couch and
have C-I. Also would solve lot of problems on distrobutions which are
slow to update their packages (which the reason why some are using
build-couchdb) .
- the other using what is installed on the system with the help of
autootols. Good for maintainers and some specific packaging solutions

Add I agree we should describe minimal requirements and what is recommanded .

- benoƮt