couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject branching in couchdb
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 08:07:13 GMT
Hello guys,

II would like to discuss a little about our branch naming. Today we have
 conflicting docs somehow:

- http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Source%20Code%20Repository%20Organization

- http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ContributorWorkflow

and one another I don't find on the wiki now (without my bookmarks)

Maybe we can make a one page describing the branching workflow and such ?

Also my understanding now is that branch should be named by
<TicketNumber>_<shortdescr>

which sound good.

I would like to introduce another level to help us when we have to look on
different branches. This is mainly based on that doc :

http://nxvl.blogspot.fr/2012/07/a-continous-delivery-git-branching-model.html

and it could help for continuous integration when we will have it.

In short :

- a develop branch where all patches should land before to go in master.
This branch can be used for final review and make sure it doesn't break
anything else.

- a `fix/<TicketNumber>_<shortdescr>`  for changes fixing a bug
- a `feature/<TicketNumber>_<shortdescr>` for new features
- usual X.X.x branch for releases (those we could name them /release/X.X.

Thoughts?

- benoƮt