couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Russell Branca <chewbra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:30:17 GMT
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Russell Branca <chewbranca@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The Cloudant proof of concept code is up on
>> https://github.com/cloudant-labs/couchdb/tree/fauxton/src/fauxton. For
>> now don't worry too much about the GUI (we have some wireframes in the
>> works to share soon), the things of interest are:
>>
>> * modular system for building GUI components, on top of backbone and
>> bootstrap, including the ability to load external modules.
>> * grunt build system, "compiles" into a database or share/www, e.g.
>> can be served out of localhost:5984/_utils/fauxton/index.html
>> * "skin-able" via less
>> * JSON text editor with live linting and error messages using JSHint
>>
>> Obvious things that need working on:
>>
>> * integrating with automake etc for releases
>> * the GUI
>> * developer documentation
>>
>> We'd be interested in what people think, specifically if this is a
>> good foundation to build futon.next on. Barring any show stoppers this
>> will be what we use to build the next Cloudant user dashboard, and it
>> would be good to involve and collaborate with the wider community as
>> early as possible.
>>
>> I'll be around today in the irc meeting today if anyone has any
>> questions or ideas.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Russell & Simon
>
> Haven't run it yet, but the structure looks pretty good.
>
> The key decisions so far seem to be:
>  - build with grunt
>  - backbone
>  - require.js (yes?)
>  - LESS
>
> And I take no issue with any of those.

We'll work on getting the grunt task in place for deploying as a
couchapp this week, its mostly there.

We're using backbone boiler plate (bbb) on top of grunt, which
includes require.js and backbone layout manager. The module API
leverages require.js, so in its simplest form, an external module can
just include the plugin API and not have to worry about loading the
rest of the dependencies, which simplifies things quite a bit, ie:

https://github.com/cloudant-labs/couchdb/blob/fauxton/src/fauxton/app/modules/test_plugin.js

-Russell