couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Garren Smith ...@redcometlabs.com>
Subject Futon.Next
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:19:38 GMT
Hi,

Futon has been a great web ui for Couchdb for many years. However it's definitely getting
a little old and creaky. It has the basic functionality down but is missing much-needed features.

From what I've heard and tried myself, a new shinier Futon has been attempted many times before.
Each one ending in failure. We think it's time to end that. We want to create a new Futon.
One that adds new functionality along with the current functionality available in Futon. We
need to create an app that's easy to use for someone new, and powerful enough for someone
who is an experienced Couchdb user. Something that can help with their administration of Couchdb.

With that in mind a group of us have been chatting about building the next one. We want to
get the rest of Couchdb world involved.
I've summarised our current progress and the current questions that need to be answered.

The highest priority is the organisation and planning of Futon.Next:

Who wants to help out?
So far the following people have said they are interested, Octavian (@mainerror), Ryan (@eckoit),
Alexander (@kxepal), Simon (@drsm79), Ben (@bigbluehat).
If you are interested in getting involved let us know.

How would you like to contribute?

How do we work? Do we have a weekly IRC meeting? Or just by email?
We have a github organisation [1]. I've created a repository[2] and we can use the issue and
wiki to plan.

After we have those questions answered we need to make some technical decisions:

Do we start on a new codebase or do we use an existing code base?
Futon2 was one proposed code base [3] and Yowzer was something I coded in slight anger after
finding futon 2 frustrating [4].
Cloudant says they could have something by next week to show us that we could possibly use.

What Couchapp tool do we use?
Erica seems a good choice with it being talked about with Couchdb otherwise Nodejs + Couchapp
+ grunt.js could also be a good fit.

Some decisions that have already been made:
Futon.Next will be a single page couchapp.
Twitter bootstrap seems to be the main choice as a starting point. Along with Less.js so that
it can be custom themed.
Backbone.js seems to be a popular choice as the MV*.
Alexander would like us to consider using Pouchdb and said he would try and do a prototype
to see if its possible.

Please add anything I've missed and let me know your contributions. I'm also new at working
on a large Open Source project so would appreciate any corrections on how we are doing this.

Cheers
Garren

[1] https://github.com/Futon
[2] https://github.com/Futon/Futon.Next