couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>
Subject Re: Futon.Next
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:19:38 GMT
Hi,
how the files get built into a release artefact is orthogonal to how they work in the browser.
Using grunt means we get a lot of stuff for zero effort (vs building our own things), it's
easy to install and use and results in plain old html, css and js files to serve out of _utlis
in a release while also letting developers use the code as a couchapp for development if they
so choose.

I took a first stab at getting grunt/bbb building our prototype into share/www and serving
from localhost:5984/_utils this morning and it works as expected. There are some other nits
to work through, but I'm happy with it as a proof of concept.

I agree using node in the browser is overkill for this and should be avoided.
Cheers
Simon

On Thursday, 25 October 2012 at 17:01, Garren Smith wrote:

> I think I need to explain that bit. If we want to use Bootstrap and less.js we need a
build tool that will compile the less files into css and then upload the couchapp into couchdb.
Grunt.js is a good fit but it is an extra dependancy as it requires node.js. Maybe Erica could
do that instead. At this stage these are pretty minor issues that will be easy to sort out
later.

> On 25 Oct 2012, at 5:57 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl (mailto:dirkjan@ochtman.nl)>
wrote:

> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Garren Smith <gs@redcometlabs.com (mailto:gs@redcometlabs.com)>
wrote:
> > > What Couchapp tool do we use?
> > > Erica seems a good choice with it being talked about with Couchdb otherwise
Nodejs + Couchapp + grunt.js could also be a good fit.