couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>
Subject Re: Futon.Next
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:56:06 GMT

On Thursday, 25 October 2012 at 18:35, Ryan Ramage wrote:

> > > I'd assume that in a release we'd compile things down into the share/www
> > > directory and serve out of there (as we do with the current futon, and will
> > > do with the docs), so what we need IMHO is a build tool not a couchapp push
> > > tool.
> >
> > If Futon.Next should become a proper CouchApp as discussed then we
> > certainly need a CouchApp push tool.

Right, and there are ~10 that exist and approximately interoperate today. Getting a couchapp
tool into a release is another issue, but a non-issue here IMHO.
> One requirement out of Cloudant is the ability to turn things on and
> off. This will require persistance. Have a db to persistant settings
> would be a feature of using a couchapp.

You misunderstood that requirement. If we're not using a feature (e.g. config) it won't get
deployed anywhere, it'll be removed at build time. It's not a user facing optional thing,
the code just won't be on our CDN.

Oh, we'll also likely be serving static content (e.g. Futon.Next) from a CDN ;)
Cheers
Simon