couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Part2: What's up dev? About couchapps.
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 20:31:35 GMT

On 9/25/2012 10:02 AM, Dale Harvey wrote:
> On 25 September 2012 14:39, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Dale Harvey <dale@arandomurl.com> wrote:
>>> Just wanted to chime in on a few points
>>>
>>> I think Couch should definitely ship with a tool to upload a design doc,
>>> think we pretty much all agreed on that in Boston, its not even
>> particular
>>> to couchapps but a fairly basic requirement for anyone that has to manage
>>> their map reduce code.
>>>
>>> I do have (a lot) of hesitation about the python filesystem mapping, I
>> have
>>> dozens of applications on my laptop currently with the following layout,
>>> would suggest it is a canonical layout
>>>
>>> + myproject
>>>    + index.html
>>>    + style
>>>      + myproject.css
>>>    + img
>>>
>> That would imply that a couch app  is just a simple HTML5 apps. People
>> tend to not use sometimes shows and lists, but this just because we
>> are for now using an inefficient way to handle the javascript
>> evaluation. This is something from the past and I don't want that we
>> live in the past. At the boston summit it was the same reaction people
>> think couchapps as something frozen that can't be improved.
>>
> It doesnt imply that, it just ensures support for it. the node couchapp
> (and kanso?) both support uploading plain directories into attachments as
> well as adding sub directories with the extended couch specific data (like
> map / reduces etc)

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to imply that the current couchapp.py directory
layout be the *only* way of putting stuff into a design doc. I've often
wanted to just throw whatever my current directory is into a doc as
attachments and/or JSON bits. Perhaps that's all the baseline
implementation really needs to do.

>> Imo the couchapp fs should represent the ddoc structure.

If a Design Doc is what's expected as output, then I think the current
couchapp.py format has what's needed. couchapp.py itself needs further
extension to support multiple docs and "attach these files to this
couchdb doc" but that's for other threads. :)