couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>
Subject Re: Part2: What's up dev? About couchapps.
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:02:13 GMT
Hi,
> Not sure we should ship more than one "reference implementation."

My thinking was that a reference implementation in python might be different to one in java,
erlang or javascript. By "a bunch" I meant "one per language". If you want to provide this
as a base to build third party apps from then native support in multiple languages seems like
a reasonable requirement.

That then opens up the "driver" discussion...
> And just to be clear, I think the primary goal of this effort, if somebody
> undertakes it, is to provide a tool that can bootstrap Futon during the
> install process. A secondary goal should be that we can talk about the tool
> in the docs, and give people a taste for CouchApps. And the best way to do
> that, IMO, is to provide a tool that is simple and focused enough to upload
> a dir into a design document. (Unless Futon needs anything more than that?
> My CouchApp experience is... Spotty. I have built a few, but I am no
> expert.)

One issue there is are we defining a directory structure. Are saying that directory structure
X is a couchapp but directory structure Y isn't?
Cheers
Simon