couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Part2: What's up dev? About couchapps.
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:36:13 GMT
TL;DR +1 for including erica[1] into CouchDB proper.

To summarise a bit:

There are about 3 key things that all couchy tools do [1]….[5]:

- transform local js and erlang functions in separate files, into
design doc format
- include necessary libraries and attachments into those ddocs
- upload that ddoc into CouchDB

and optionally:
- support cloning ddocs (downloading and reversing the transformation)
- pushing arbitrary json docs with optional attachments
- pre/post hooks to minify, uglify, etc
- package mgmt
- keep some local state & store it in the ddoc to avoid unnecessary
transfer of attachments

We need to make the first steps when moving past using futon as easy
as possible, and consistent across platforms, with a minimal tooling
requirement. Node is awesome but is moving way too fast, and erlang is
the logical next choice.

If Benoit is willing, a slimmed down erica[1] code could be included
into CouchDB proper, or at least blessed as the canonical version.
It's in erlang, & with some rebar magic you have a stand-alone escript
that can be located anywhere in your path. The only additional code
I'd like to see is that it supports multiple ddocs, and handle
uploading normal docs as well as ddocs.

Personally, I only really understood ddocs after using CouchDB for
quite a while. I suspect I am not alone in this!

[1]: https://github.com/benoitc/erica
[2]: https://github.com/mikeal/node.couchapp.js
[3]: https://github.com/kanso/kanso
[4]: http://reupholster.iriscouch.com/reupholster/_design/app/index.html