couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: Part2: What's up dev? About couchapps.
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:52:46 GMT
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> I think the multiple language thing is a slippery slope. By extension, we
> should ship client libraries too then. No way.
>
> The goal is to bootstrap Futon, and to provide a simple tool to demo in our
> docs.

This whole discussion makes me even more convinced that CouchDB and
CouchApps should be separate things.

In my view, CouchDB is a database. The REST API and some of the other
features it offers conspire to make this CouchApp thing possible, but
it shouldn't distract from CouchDB-the-database. Sure, concrete
feature requests for CouchApp-type things should be fed back into
CouchDB development, but that doesn't mean that CouchDB itself (or
Futon, which I consider an important part of CouchDB) should be
organized around CouchApps. I think that currently, the swirling
vortex of CouchApp-like projects is more of a distraction to the
CouchDB community than a force for constructive feedback.

Cheers,

Dirkjan