couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Part2: What's up dev? About couchapps.
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:55:46 GMT
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Simon Metson <simon@cloudant.com> wrote:
> Hey Benoit, all,
>
> I agree that this isn't about tools. The tools themselves are simple, and the last change
to CouchDB that effected CouchApps would be in 0.10.0. While there are bugs, the tools are
relatively stable and usable. I think diversity is good here.

> There's a lot of bad documentation (e.g. wrong) out there. Examples that are out of date
using code that is no longer supported. There seemed to have been a perception for a while
that a couchapp had to use evently, for instance, long after evently had ceased development.
I'm not sure what the apache community can do to clean up those issues in the wider world
(aside from notifying owners of broken examples) but we could certainly make things clear
on http://couchdb.apache.org and the wiki.

> If possible I would redirect couchapp.org into http://couchdb.apache.org/couchapp or
similar (as couchdb.org does) and make that a landing page for building applications using
CouchDB. Simple examples in a bunch of languages using idiomatic code would be good. Highlighting
that a web app talking to CouchDB is a simple thing that doesn't need masses of boiler plate
code would be nice, too.

+1

> Mongo got a bunch of press off the back of Meteor (http://www.meteor.com/) which isn't
much more than what is already offered by CouchApps, just better packaging (and some nice
hot swappable code). If we want to continue down the road of "CouchDB as an application server"
then eating our dog food an making Futon a CouchApp would be a nice start.

> I'd be wary about decoupling the development of "app engine like features" from the database,
though. There are features that impact on database behaviour and need to be considered in
the bigger picture. That said, I don't think I've seen any discussion of new features pertaining
to couch apps for some time (and I'd like to!) and my initial objection depends a lot on what
those app features are.

> The timeline/release schedule stuff that was discussed in Dublin seems like a good way
to mitigate concerns about different pace between database development and app engine work,
too.

Well when I say spitted I'm thinking more of it as a plugin integrated
in couchdb in the OTP sense.

I think I dropped some mails in or maybe in rcouch (see..) but it was about

couchapp at the server level
improved rewriter
ACL like on mobile.

such things  I would be happy to discuss.

- benoƮt