couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Part1: What's up dev? About energy.
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:20:49 GMT
What's up devs?

Following our last discussion with @nslater on twitter, I wanted to say
a quick HI on the mailing-list. This mail is splitted in 2 parts. A long
time really. These days I miss what make me enjoy CouchDB at the
beginning. The energy you could feel on the chan and sometimes IRL. The
time when anyone was aware of who was working on a feature. Which
feature was in progress. Today IRC is more like a support channel where
sometimes ideas emerge but you don't feel they are very supported. There
are private discussion somewhere.  But well they are... private. Same
for tickets. We see tickets but more often no real incentive from each
others (and I am to blame too) to fix them.

Today to be honnest, this lack of energy annoys me a lot. This is quite
more important than the rest. At least for me. I don't have 4 devs on
the projects working with me in my office where I can speak with each
other about possible fixes and such .. Communication inside the project
is  really important. Apache CouchDB is an opensource project
distributed around the world (at least 2 continents).

Anyway I still keep my confidence in the project. I know there have been
lot of codes developped around. Today if we don't count the couchbase
fork (wich is still named couchdb and all...) there are 2 friendly forks I'm
aware of couchdb: bigcouch, refuge.

Bigcouch was announced to be merged in. But since then we don't know as
couchdb devs how it will be. How can we keep couchdb working standalone
and on a cluster. It blocks everything else today for me since I don't
know if I will work on a cluster or still can continue to think I can
use couchdb standalone on one node (and possiblit migrate to the
cluster thing easily). I didn't see anything about in
bigcouch recently as well. . As a CouchDB developper I would like to see
a branch in couchdb so we can hack on all together or just review or
document.

Rcouch my own fork which has the following features:

- OTP compliant (build an erlang release, support hot upgrades), bigcouch
is as well. Today couchdb isn't really erlangish and is based on
autotools
- static build support. Packages for deb, rpm, macosx, arm platforms
- View changes: get changes in an ndex in real time
- Replication using view changes
- couch_randomdoc : pick a random document inside a db or a view
- dnssd : discover couchdb over bonjour in your lan
- upnp : make couchdb easily accessible on the net
- refuge_spatial: fork of geocouch adapted to use latest couch_index.
  (note that a version also exists for bigcouch)
- HTTP api based on ranch and cowboy (using mochicow for the
  transition). more stable and efficient HTTP handlers
- doc read validation (like update validation)
- dropbox features (anyone can upload only readers or admins can read
  doc uploaded)
- some replication fixes.
- no refcount db , using a patch from @davisp similar to the one in
  bigcouch
- ..

And coming this week: view merge & cors.

I would like to merge it in couchdb as well. But I don't know how. And
each time I asked for having a discussion on it it fails because some
were busy or anything (but never came back). Can we put a roadmap for
that and start to put the code online?

Second part about couchapps in next mail.

- benoƮt