couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Harvey <d...@arandomurl.com>
Subject Re: Part2: What's up dev? About couchapps.
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:29:33 GMT
Just wanted to chime in on a few points

I think Couch should definitely ship with a tool to upload a design doc, I
think we pretty much all agreed on that in Boston, its not even particular
to couchapps but a fairly basic requirement for anyone that has to manage
their map reduce code.

I do have (a lot) of hesitation about the python filesystem mapping, I have
dozens of applications on my laptop currently with the following layout, I
would suggest it is a canonical layout

+ myproject
  + index.html
  + style
    + myproject.css
  + img

If I want to upload that project, as it is into couch, I just want to be
able to do so, I do not want to reorganise my filesystem to make sure that
it is within an _attachments directory inside a directory with a .couchapprc

Much along the same lines as above, I think instead of couch focusing on
creating an all encompassing web framework for 'couchapps', CouchDB should
be prioritising features wich make CouchDB an excellent backing store for
any application, this means things like role based access control and CORS
support over things like _shows / _lists and rewrites

Of course that comes from a bias viewpoint, and I did drop the ball on the
CORS support, apologies

Cheers
Dale