couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Part1: What's up dev? About energy.
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:41:10 GMT
Some good stuff in this Benoit.

I think we need to kick some life back into the team as well.

Here are my ideas:

* Set up a weekly team meeting on IRC. Attendance strictly non-compulsory.
Minutes archived on wiki and sent to list afterwards. Get everyone to speak
up and report on status, and any items for discussion. This mirrors a
short-lived, but very useful, "CouchDB heartbeat" that me and Jan were
doing in private during our darkest hour this year.

* Set up informal teams, or work groups. No team leaders.
No hierarchy or bureaucracy. Just promote the idea that people should get
organised around specific areas. Each "team" get's a wiki space. People can
elect to be in the team. Again, no team leaders. Just groups of people. For
example, me, Paul, and Bob are the release team at the moment. This team
has existed for years, but we've not documented it anywhere. Let's do that.
And ask other people to do the same around areas they give a shit about.

* Kick of product management and marketing activities. I'm talking feature
lifecycle stuff. Collecting requests and use cases. Maintaining a roadmap.
Maintaining docs. Setting up a release cadence. Working with PR, bloggers,
etc, ever time we launch. Open up blog itself to the community. We need to
blog about non-release stuff. Demonstrate that we're thought leaders.

* Start to recognise 3rd party projects by either merging them in directly
(BigCouch), creating ASF sub-projects, or learning from them, and blessing
certain ideas. CouchApps is, apparently controversial. One option might be
to re-implement CouchApps in core, taking lessons from 3rd party projects,
but not merging any in directly. The goal being to say that CouchDB core is
both a clustered database and an app platform. No need to depend on forks
or external projects. This shit is important enough to the community that
we're making that functionality core.

Benoit, I know you're going to have some concerns about what exactly I mean
by some of these points. I would like to say, for now, let's put the
discussion on hold. And work through these one by one. Or at
least, separately. I'm trying to devote more hours in the week to CouchDB.
And I only have time to think about and work on one of these things at a
time. I am sure other people feel the same. So, let's be aware that there
are things to sort out here, and different perspectives to unite, and just
put it on the back burner, and pick one of them for now.

I think the first thing we need to look at is setting up a weekly IRC
meeting. I will send out a separate email for that now.

--
NS