couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Part2: What's up dev? About couchapps.
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:17:24 GMT
On 9/24/2012 6:53 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
> Making Futon a CouchApp would be a great first step.
>
> Other good first steps would be trashing couchapp.com and redirecting to
> c.a.o/couchapp like you say.
>
> Also, creating apps@couchdb.apache.org or similar, to indicate a more
> official, and broad, focus.
>
> If we made Futon a CouchApp, how would that work?

You mean like this? https://github.com/bigbluehat/futon2
:)

Sorry if that never got posted to the list(s), but I setup Mikeal's
Futon 2 rewrite over a year and a half ago as a CouchApp. IrisCouch
actually "ships" it--request _utils like this to view it:
http://example.iriscouch.com./_utils/ (note the trailing "." after the
".com"

The actual "Sammy Futon" not with standing, turning Futon into a
CouchApp took less than 5 minutes--as it merely means mapping the
share/www contents into an _attachments folder and providing an _id.

The common denominator of the filesystem-to-design-doc mapping [1] among
the Python "couchapp", erica, and kanso's "traditional-couchapp"
dependency [2] is an advantage and that shouldn't be given up lightly.
node.couchapp.js could certainly be made (with minimal app.js or a new
require() option) to load all the assets from this same filesystem mapping.

If nothing else, it would mean that when anyone says "I built a
CouchApp" anyone else knows what that looks like on disk, and where to
find what. Then the tools become value adds, not requirements.

Thanks for bringing this up, Benoit.

[1] http://couchapp.org/page/filesystem-mapping
[2] http://kan.so/docs/Kanso_for_developers_using_the_python_couchapp_tool