couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wendall Cada <wenda...@83864.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB pre-built packages
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:13:48 GMT
On 09/11/2012 07:53 AM, Jason King wrote:
> If you're going to go to this effort, why not go all the way and maintain
> packages in the official repos of the distros?
This is a much more difficult proposition than proposed. Most
distributions have new developer guidelines that must be followed. This
can take a considerable amount of work, and often requires a sponsor. To
be trusted with the ability to push signed packages is yet another level
of trust that must be established. Most of the distros already have
package maintainers. These packages are rarely kept current, and do not
correlate with upstream releases. Even when they are updated, they are
typically only built for the latest "testing" branch and don't help any
real users.

This is a complex issue. Establishing good relationships with
distribution package maintainers is the best approach for dealing with
various distributions.

Releasing official packages ensures that the latest stable releases are
available regardless of distribution politics and release schedules.

Wendall