couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@apache.org>
Subject Merge in new authentication code
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2012 01:26:46 GMT
Hi, developers.

At Iris Couch, we have used two third-party CouchDB extensions for a
very long time. I would like to merge both of them into master. They
provide alternative ways to create a CouchDB user and to log in to
CouchDB.

Both mechanisms use a third-party authenticator which basically tells
CouchDB that the person is who they say they are. Both mechanisms then
create a local CouchDB _users document. So you can set a .password
value and have both types of authentication.

## Mozilla Persona

Written by Randall, used in production here for a year. This is
hands-down the easiest way for developers to add logins to their Couch
apps. See https://github.com/iriscouch/browserid_couchdb#so-simple

## CouchDB-XO_Auth

Created by Ocasta, this is basically a general OAuth implementation.
It already works against Facebook and I am now making sure it works
with GitHub too. It has the same autovivication feature for
newly-authenticated users.