couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Docs, second try
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 01:52:50 GMT
Sorry guys. Life got in the way, as it does.

As I see it, we have two options:

1) Pick a source format that can convert to Texinfo. The source format should be easy to EDIT.
The Texinfo requirement is so that it hooks in to Autotools. (Which gives us info pages, HTML,
PDF, etc, for free.)

2) Write the docs in HTML.

Has anyone considered option 2?

If you don't think it's possible, or would be complex to edit, see:

https://github.com/oreilly/couchdb-guide/

The only downside to option 2 is that we will have to develop a style guide, and enforce it,
if we wish to keep the source clean and readable. (Again, see above.)

I have lots of DocBook experience, and I am still prepared to run point on this. (If you will
forgive my previous lack of attention.)

If we can build consensus around which option we want to go with, I can allocate some time
upfront to getting the existing stuff imported, converted, and in a state ready to ship.