couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestion for next big release: extended transactional support
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:08:05 GMT
Hi,

The lack of multi-operation transactions in CouchDB is not an oversight but a design choice.
CouchDB transactions as currently defined continue to work in large clusters. The extension
proposed here would not, at least not without compromising the linear scalability goal.

So, more briefly, no, this won't be happening in CouchDB.

B.

On 6 Aug 2012, at 08:36, Robin De Mol wrote:

> Dear reader,
>
> I've been using CouchDB in several projects with joy. Recently I also tried to use it
in a large project at my work. I'm very pleased with the REST api and the features CouchDB
offers such as replication, though there is one type of interaction that I find leaves room
for improvement. If you would have it, here is a suggestion for a large future release regarding
the topic of transactions with the database:

> 1. start a transaction by calling a specific url (such as make a post to _transaction
or something),
> 2. perform a bunch of interactions through calls to the REST api,
> 3. finish your work with a commit or abort message.
>
> At the moment, I'm facing difficulties keeping my database consistent when working with
batch operations where bulk_docs are not sufficient (e.g. when I need to edit docs in different
databases at the same time, like the _users and the userbase of a database's ddoc).