couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Importing Documentation under CC-3.0 license into CouchDB project
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 04:06:18 GMT
There appears to be some confusion about differences among Creative Commons licenses.  The
Creative Commons Attribution is what is known as CC/By and there is no problem with it.  Creative
Commons Non-Commercial and Creative Commons Share-Alike are the problems and the discussion
you found was about CC-SA.

In addition, CC-0 is a quit claim -- it effectively makes a work public domain except that
the copyright owner can, I suppose, still provide derivatives under more-restrictive licenses
because the copyright does not disappear (in the US, at least).

With regard to CC-By, it is the copyright holder who gets to say what is an acceptable attribution,
and even to require that there be no attribution in a particular case.  In my experience,
it is rare to find information about what an acceptable attribution might be.

It seems to me that working with publisher-ready "sources" (i.e., DocBook) rather than the
published form does not relieve one of honoring the origin.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Davis []
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 15:56
Subject: Re: Importing Documentation under CC-3.0 license into CouchDB project

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <> wrote:
> Hi,
> The CouchDB project received a donation of API docs [docs]
> and build tools from company CouchBase [jan1][mc2],
> with our PMC (Jan Lehnardt) OK to proceed [jan3].
> 1. The licence of contribution is CC-3.0A [mc4][cc5]. Is this
> compatible?
> 2. As this is a substantial contribution, can you advise if there's
> any special requirements prior to pushing this into the ASF
> couchdb repo? Link on legal site [asf6] suggest this should
> be OK with attribution [dch7].
> Thanks, Dave
> [docs]:
> [jan1]:
> [mc2]:
> [jan3]:
> [mc4]:
> [cc5]:
> [asf6]:
> [dch7]:

I'll point out that a reason that we're wondering about compatibility
is that we found a section in the legal docs that mentions CC license
and specifically mentions not altering the imported work at [1].

The current plan in CouchDB to import these docs will be to pull the
original XML (DocBook) sources that CouchBase created, translate them
into a format for Sphinx (Python's plain text system) and then
continue to edit/maintain them alongside the rest of CouchDB's

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message