couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git commit: Automate maintenance of the THANKS file
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:56:57 GMT
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2012, at 21:29 , Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I like this so much. Playing around with it, its a bit
>> prone to screw ups.
>
> I just don't want to maintain this file manually any more. It is
> error-prone and makes merging user-contributions a pain. I'm happy
> to have this implemented in any other way, but I think we should
> try to remove any mechanical steps from maintaining our source if
> we can. I hope you agree! :)

Its an extra step but not one that I find to be particularly onerous.
Given that we're already working on codifying merge practices I don't
see why we don't just add a check box for "includes commit adding
yourself to the THANKS file if this is your first contribution" that
we look for.

>> It also breaks if AUTHORS.gz exists before you
>> pull in new commits. We could solve that by forcing it to build every
>> time but that's a bit of a hack for not much gain.
>
> Can you explain how it breaks if AUTHORS.gz exists before the merge?
> If you mean THANKS.gz, my idea was that this is only relevant on
> packaging time (make distcheck) where THANKS.gz by definition does
> not exist.

I'm not sure its a good idea to have a file that is only built
correctly in special circumstances.

>> Its also got Benoit in there twice since he made commits with slightly
>> different author/committer names which also seems awkward.
>
> The subsequent .mailmap commit fixes the dupes. The push emails seem
> to be delayed atm, I reported this to danielsh on #asfinfra.

I'm confused. You've removed one manually curated file only to add a
new one that just modifies the build of the first? Seems like a lot of
gymnastics.

In a perfect world I would be all in with you on this but
unfortunately a large number of people don't spend time checking their
user settings before pushing commits around. Instead of just adding
people to a file the first time they make a commit this means I have
to go and check that the THANKS file is generated properly and then
maybe update .mailmap if not and recheck that I got it correct.