couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: dependancy tracking
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:14:46 GMT
On 20 June 2012 17:16, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my last attempt to make the core more erlangish, I'm trying to find
> a way to manage dependencies like webmachine, oauth, snappy, ... . I
> thought one way would be to get them while preparing the release like
> I do in rcouch, but maybe some still want to have them in the
> repository.
>
> So:
>
> 1. What do you prefer ?
>   a. keep the dependency in the source

This. I really like being able to git checkout <branch> and be ready to go
without needing to pull in deps again.

Being able to build from source without a network connection is likely a
plus for packagers & maintainers.

>   b. getting them at the release (with possibly rebar), they will be
> distributed with the archive

We need to have that rebar discussion & soon. Most if not all of the NIFs
we use are now rebarified on linux/darwin and windows, I don't see
anything stopping us from moving to rebar. Assuming that makes
integrating bigcouch & refuge functionality easier, I think we should do it.

> 2. In case of a), is there a good pattern to maintain/track changes
> upstreams ? We for now do big merge, without keeping upstream history.
> It may be a problem or not. Thought?
>
> - benoit

Checking out the original repo and working via that would be sufficient
for my oh-so-humble needs. A merge with subject of the git tag sha from the
original repo would be ideal.

A+
Dave