couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Cliffano Subagio <cliff...@gmail.com>
Subject COUCHDB-901 COUCHDB-1429 and stray/zombie couchjs processes
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 00:36:23 GMT
Sorry for cross-posting, but I'm wondering if CouchDB devs have any opinion
on this issue?

Cheers,
Cliff.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cliffano Subagio <cliffano@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Subject: COUCHDB-901 COUCHDB-1429 and stray/zombie couchjs processes
To: user@couchdb.apache.org

Hi,

Searching through the mailing list, there are some threads [1] [2] related
to stray/zombie couchjs processes with no obvious resolution yet.
Similar to those threads, I'm also getting stray/zombie couchjs processes
when the server (couchdb 1.1.1) is under heavy load and couchjs starts
timing out until the total (ps ax | grep couchjs | wc -l) is greater than
os_process_limit, and couchdb would then consistently logs timeout errors.
At that point, the client code can no longer read/write any doc to couchdb
until couchdb is restarted or the stray couchjs processes are killed.

Adam mentioned on the first thread [1] that there's a branch [3] which
might fix the issue. The associated JIRA issue COUCHDB-901 [4] has since
moved the target release from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3.
Is COUCHDB-901 strictly related to BigCouch or also applicable to CouchDB?
Could 'losing track of OS processes' possibly contribute to stray couchjs
processes?
Is there any chance of including this fix in 1.3?

There is also COUCHDB-1429 [5] which describes a similar situation with
zombie couchjs processes.
I checked with Nate, who raised COUCHDB-1429, to confirm that this is not
related to a reduce function so we can rule out COUCHDB-1246 as the culprit.
Any couchdb dev willing to have a look at COUCHDB-1429?

Thanks in advance.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201104.mbox/%3CBANLkTikTO5R0d2nH-8p81L3piYsEXwOrHA@mail.gmail.com%3E
[2]