couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB packaging for Ubuntu
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:55:20 GMT
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM, till <klimpong@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I've been scratching my own itch and started building 1.2.0 for a couple Ubuntu distributions.
>>
>> It's a WIP but I was wondering the following:
>>
>> 1) It builds – but does it work? Is the best bet to run the test suite in futon,
or is there something I could run on the command line when the package is installed? I'd prefer
the command line to include it in some sort of continuous testing without a browser.

>> 2) Who'd have some interest in testing this?

Me!

>> 3) Which distributions are wanted – I started with karmic and lucid and had planned
to build all the way up to 12.10.

Any active LTS makes sense, as well as the last release or two. So I
think that's lucid, oneiric and precise?
That's what I'd do.

>> Till
>
> Randall started a PPA as well sometimes ago :
>
> https://launchpad.net/~randall-leeds/+archive/couchdb
>
> I don't know if he still want to maintain it , but it may worth to
> check with him :)

Thanks, Benoit. I would love to, but I've become too busy in the last
weeks and haven't put the time aside for it.
I have some things on my machine, so I will look at the repo when I
can and maybe do pull requests for things I see.

For example, I made the changes to drop the version prefix so that
.couch files go in /var/lib/couchdb instead of /var/lib/couchdb/1.2
and it pops up a notice about it on install.

Other things that came up in talking to Lazslo, the debian maintainer,
include things that we could change to depend on other packagings in
the repos to come into line with debian packaging policy and encourage
uptake in the official repos of both debian and ubuntu.

Joan (wohali) had some interest and work here, too, I think.

-Randall