couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docs, second try
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:11:17 GMT
Hi Simon,

thanks for the feedback!

On Jun 21, 2012, at 14:27 , Simon Metson wrote:

> I've been prodding Jan's docs branch this morning. Some successes, some fails.
>
> * I can't install xsltproc via brew (as in the docs README):
>
> $ brew install xsltproc
> Error: No available formula for xsltproc

Sorry, my bad, it actually ships with Macs as far as I can tell. I updated the README.

> * Regardless of that I got the docs to build, and made a PDF/bunch of html files.
> * I couldn't get this to work with a make of couch itself, the build of couch crashes:
>
> /tmp/couch $ ./bin/couchdb
> Apache CouchDB 1.3.0a-7f1461e-git (LogLevel=info) is starting.
> {"init terminating in do_boot",{{badmatch,{error,{bad_return,{{couch_app,start,[normal,["/tmp/couch/etc/couchdb/default.ini","/tmp/couch/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]},{'EXIT',{{badmatch,{error,shutdown}},[{couch_server_sup,start_server,1,[{file,"couch_server_sup.erl"},{line,96}]},{application_master,start_it_old,4,[{file,"application_master.erl"},{line,274}]}]}}}}}},[{couch,start,0,[{file,"couch.erl"},{line,18}]},{init,start_it,1,[]},{init,start_em,1,[]}]}}
>
> Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
> init terminating in do_boot ()
>
> which I assume isn't related to docs.

Did you mean to do `make dev && utils/run` or is `./bin/couchdb` done in a `make install`
target?

> * did a make clean in both docs and main dir, once I did that the docs build fails:
> SEVERE: Exception
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: "{http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format}block"
is not a valid child of "fo:root"! (See position 1110:144)

I can't reproduce this in my dev repo or clean checkout.

> I'm guessing something didn't get cleaned up correctly - I'm going to try a fresh check
out next.

> Where do you want to go with this beyond having it available from futon? Like I said
in Berlin I'm happy to contribute where I can...

It is already linked up in Futon, pointing to /_docs/manual/couchdb-manual.html-dir/index.html
(see 06210b9), but it just jumps to the docs and out of futon, which isn't  very user-friendly.
We could iframe things, or open the docs in a new window/tab, although I tend to not like
that :)

Cheers
Jan