couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docs, second try
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:01:53 GMT

On Jun 21, 2012, at 16:55 , Simon Metson wrote:

> Hey,
>> Sorry, my bad, it actually ships with Macs as far as I can tell. I updated the README.
>>

> Cool.
>> Did you mean to do `make dev && utils/run` or is `./bin/couchdb` done in
a `make install` target?
> It was done in the make install target. make dev && utils/run works.
>>
>>> * did a make clean in both docs and main dir, once I did that the docs build
fails:
>>> SEVERE: Exception
>>> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException:
"{http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format}block" is not a valid child of "fo:root"! (See position
1110:144)

>> I can't reproduce this in my dev repo or clean checkout.
> Ah, I cocked up; I'd accidentally removed the jars when running the make clean :)
>> It is already linked up in Futon, pointing to /_docs/manual/couchdb-manual.html-dir/index.html
(see 06210b9), but it just jumps to the docs and out of futon, which isn't very user-friendly.
We could iframe things, or open the docs in a new window/tab, although I tend to not like
that :)

Cool, thanks :)

> I think I mean where do we go now. Agree that integrating the docs into futon would be
nice (though I don't know how to do that with docbook, not used it before now, will dig in).

This has nothing to do with docbook, we generate HTML and we can link to that in Futon, I
don't think we want to generate the Futon-docs part in docbook, but happy to be proven wrong.
I think it'd be easer to make a docs.html in futon that keeps the header and sidebar and just
shows the /_docs/... link.

> What about things like pulling in Dale's jquery.couch.js docs (daleharvey.github.com/jquery.couch.js-docs/symbols/index.html)?

We should definitely consider this, but I think that is out of scope for this particular patch.

> Once this is integrated with the main make I guess it makes sense to have a "normal"
make just create the html for serving, and making building the pdf etc something you explicitly
trigger.

Agreed :)

Cheers
Jan