couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>
Subject Re: versioning for sensors data storage
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:15:33 GMT
Hi,
> From the "architecture" point of view it could be a nice solution with
> CouchDB, where each sensor is represented by a document and each
> sample of sensor data is a version of this document.

You don't want to do that, as soon as a compaction occurs you'll loose your history. Instead
make a document for each sample, and include the sensor id in that document, so you can build
a view of the samples for a given sensor.
> The questions are:
> - do we have time/date information for versions

No, you'd need to add that into the document yourself.
> - is it easy/good to access document version history
> - what is a limit on number of versions and how it affects performance

See above
> - is it possible/easy/good to get a time snapshot of database

You mean for backup? Sure, either copy the db file or if you need to access it remotely you
can page through _all_docs to get a snapshot. You could also use the _changes feed to do a
rolling backup.
Cheers
Simon