couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Official roadmap, and merge procedure
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:28:52 GMT

On Jun 16, 2012, at 18:45 , Noah Slater wrote:

> Devs,
>
> A few of us met in Dublin recently, and we discussed the project roadmap.
>
> Key takeaways from that meeting:
>
> 1. We'd like to proposed formal time-based releases
>

> 2. Branch and hack all you like, but if you want to ship something, you
> have to submit a merge request to an active release branch. Before you do
> this, you should follow a test procedure. And before your request will be
> accepted, it will be put through QA by the community.
>

> Details of these proposals can be found here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Roadmap_Process
>

> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Merge_Procedure
>

> Please reply back to this thread with your comments on the proposals.
>
> (The last one needs to be fleshed out, a little...)

In particular this bit:

> Feature branches are merged to release branches using 'git merge --no-ff <FEATURE
BRANCH>'. This guarantees a merge commit, which are the only kinds of commit that will
appear on release branches. If the merge results in conflicts, the release manager rejects
the merge commit with an reply to the dev@ thread. If the merge is successful, the release
manager should run 'make distcheck' and push the merge upstream if the tests pass.

Merges are currently not allowed on release branches and master. IIRC we came up with git
merge --no-ff being "safe" to enable, but this currently is still disabled.

Cheers
Jan