couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Post-mortem
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 00:28:29 GMT
Thanks for the tip, Noah.

In addition to solving its technical and community deficiencies, we
all be banging on non-stop about why CouchDB is good for you:

* Zero data loss (I can't believe it merits saying, but hey, there we are)
* They built a successful product, because CouchDB cuts with the grain
of the web
* They built a successful business, similarly
* Simple, transparent, confidence-instilling backups
* It was a lot of fun

## The Story of CouchDB

People don't acknowledge enough how great SQL is for a maturing
company. Setting "product" aside, relational databases help build
businesses. CouchDB is not a "NoSQL" database, it is a
"domain-specific database." NoSQL could mean anything. When I have sex
there is no SQL. It's NoSQL! (Sometimes, there is no transaction
either.)

The point is, bosses tend to ask relational questions. How many new
signups from last month are on the west coast and referred a friend?
How many leads converted to sales? Where is our product demanded most?
On a domain-specific DBs, the answer is a programming project. On
MySQL, it's a query. (I'm simplifying, but you all get it.)

Couch should not claim to solve or even address those problems. The
story should be, "get your product done fast, and right. Ship it
today, and be poised to solve tomorrow's problems tomorrow."

(Note, I ignore Couch's problems in this message, not to downplay
them, but rather to keep focus.)

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> What can we learn from this: