couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Nick North <nort...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replicated database size
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 18:37:31 GMT
Thanks for replying - that test does show up a problem. It works fine on my
Win7 machine but, on Windows Server, says:

Erlang R15B (erts-5.9) [source] [smp:2:2] [async-threads:0]

Eshell V5.9  (abort with ^G)
1> application:load(snappy).
ok
2> application:start(snappy).
ok
3> c(snappy_tests).
{ok,snappy_tests}
4> snappy_tests:test().
snappy_tests: compression_test_...*failed*
::snappy_nif_not_loaded


snappy_tests: decompression_test_...*failed*
::snappy_nif_not_loaded


=======================================================
  Failed: 2.  Skipped: 0.  Passed: 0.
error

Both systems have snappy_nif.dll, in the %COUCHDB%\lib\snappy-1.0.3\priv
directory and they look to be the same file, at least as far as can be
determined from Windows Explorer.

C++ runtime versions are fairly different. The server has 2008 x64 and x86,
and 2010 x86. The Win7 machine has 2005 x64, 2008 x64 and x86, 2010 x64 and
x86 and the C++ 11 Beta x64. There are various sub-versions of each, and I
can give more details if that is useful.

Thanks for your help with this, and do let me know what else I can do to
track down the problem.

Nick

On 16 May 2012 18:36, Dave Cottlehuber <dave@muse.net.nz> wrote:

> On 16 May 2012 16:49, Nick North <north.n@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Following up on my own email, this seems to be an issue with snappy on
> > Windows Server 2008. When I changed the file_compression setting to
> > deflate_6, the "large" databases went down from 7GB to 1GB after
> > compaction. I'm not entirely sure if this counts as a bug so I won't
> raise
> > an issue on it.
> >
>
> Something's not right here. Are you able to run a couple tests on both
> instances?
>
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jeifcxpbtpo78ak/wvnm1MHmP9/testing/snappy_tests.erl
>
> Copy this file to your %COUCHDB%/bin/ folder. Then run werl.exe shell (i.e.
> not couch).
>
> Erlang R15B (erts-5.9) [source] [smp:2:2] [async-threads:0]
>
> Eshell V5.9  (abort with ^G)
> 1> application:load(snappy).
> ok
> 2> application:start(snappy).
> ok
> 3> c(snappy_tests).
> {ok,snappy_tests}
> 4> snappy_tests:test().
>  All 2 tests passed.
> ok
> 5>
>
> Hopefully somewhere in there it spits out a sensible error message & we can
> work from there.
>
> Also if there's a way to find what version(s) of vcredist_x86 are installed
> on the
> server versions vs the other ones, that might help.
>
> By the way: kudos to whoever wrote the code to deal with file_compression.
> > When I changed file_compression to deflate_6, the system happily worked
> > with the existing, supposedly snappy-compressed databases, and converted
> > format on the next compaction. That could have gone wrong in several
> ways,
> > but didn't, so thank you.
> >
> > That is Filipe's work.
>
> A+
> Dave
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message