couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wickedg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Post-mortem
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 15:32:11 GMT
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM, CGS <cgsmcmlxxv@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I don't understand is the followings:
> 1. Those guys wanted a single front-end server which should keep up with
> the incoming requests, correct? As far as I understood, CouchDB philosophy
> is based on safety of the data, which was implemented as direct writes on
> harddisk. So, having only one front-end server on which you force its hdd
> to to keep up with the high speed internet connection is just like you want
> to force a river to flow only through a mouse hole.

>From my understanding of the post, the core issue wasn't a mismatch in
scale between desired throughput (the river) and available throughput
(the mousehole), it was that under high enough load CouchDB stopped
honoring certain classes of requests entirely.  That's not a "too
slow" problem, it's a "fell over and can't get up" problem.

I think it's very important that effort is made to reproduce and
address these issues, since without being able to put more definite
bounds on them, *everyone* is going to wonder if their load is high
enough to trigger the problems.  Heck, I'm wondering it, and I don't
typically have more than a couple hundred docs per DB (but a lot of
DBs, and hundreds of megs of attachments per DB).

Eli