couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDBX Redux
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:13:16 GMT

On Apr 23, 2012, at 21:06 , Carlton Gibson wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2012, at 20:02, roger.moffatt@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> You have no idea happy an easy to install couchedb for osx would make me.
>> If we can ultimately make this into an app for free distribution via the
>> app store, that would be even better ... is that a remote possibility?
>>
>> So really this is just a note to encourage those working on couchdbx to say
>> that I await it's resurrection with enthusiasm!
>
> Good encouragement Roger! :-)
>
>> On 20 April 2012 23:17, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dave@muse.net.nz>
>
> How did you get on Dave?
> — I didn't get to look at building the couchbase repo again yet.
>
>>> Here it is:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/downloads/refuge/rcouch/rcouch-0.5.tar.gz
>>>

>>> http://benoitc.im/vrac/rcouchx/Screen%20Shot%202012-04-20%20at%2011.55.48%20PM.png
>>>
>>> see previous mail on how to build it.
>>>
>>> - benoît
>
> I loked at this today. I couldn't get to run...
>
> On 10.8 it runs afoul of the new Gatekeeper feature.

The problem with that is that (afaik) running sub-process is not allowed, which in turn means
to compile CouchDB and Erlang and SpiderMonkey and ICU statically into the .app binary. This
has been done this for a proof-of-concept iOS distribution before, but it sure isn't pretty.

> On my 10.6 box I just got an error. (32 vs 64 bit I guess.)
>
> I will see if I can build it myself but it looks (equally with the couchbase repo) to
be what we're after.

> Re. Roger's comments about the App Store:
>
> It would be awesome to have CouchDBX in the store. As soon as I can get clear on the
whole build process I'd be happy to sign an application for this and handle submitting it.

> Would it be feasible for the Apache Foundation (CouchDB Branch) to handle this instead
though?

I'd prefer that the tools to build a CouchDBX would live with the Apache CouchDB project,
but I don't think we want to be responsible for maintaining relationships with the AppStore
and producing binaries and updates.

> That way the new version of the app would be more secure going forward. — I'd be happy
to maintain it but ideally it wouldn't depend on any one or small group of developers.

This would be interesting to find out, but I'd suggest to not worry about this until we've
got some cool software to actually submit :)

> 10.8 is going to require a developer certificate signing anyhow so this question should
be addressed.

Can you point to more resources about this. AFAIK the signing will be optional and usually
useful for end-user apps. Since CouchDBX is more targeted at developers who are more likely
to turn the signing feature off or to a lower level, we can avoid dealing with that.

Cheers
Jan