couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: website & jira
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:26:00 GMT
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Benoît:
>> >
>> > Please don't add anything to the top navigation. The only thing I think
>> we
>> > should add there is a link to the "Quick Links" section - but I already
>> > tried that and the auto-scrolling breaks. If you can figure out a way to
>> > make it not break, please add that.
>>
>> Well why not about a context menu?
>

> What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context_menu

here a menu that culd appear when you click on a top navigation link.

>> > Bob:
>> >
>> > We link to the documentation in the Quick Links footer. The documentation
>> > itself includes the API reference. I don't think there's any particular
>> > need to link to the API reference on the page as a special call out.
>> >
>> > Benoît:
>> >
>> > I agree that I think the text is very big, but it's the only way we could
>> > get it looking good with the text stretched across the whole screen.
>> > Perhaps the thing to do is to shorten the width of the text some how. We
>> > need a designer to look at it.
>> >

>> Why the text has to be stretched across the whole screen? It looks
>> good but it's actually really painful to read it.
>

> Yes, I'm not sure what to do about it.
>
> We need a designer to look at it.

i would first reduce the width to 40em (common width on desktop) and
the font size to something human readable then look at a designer to
make eventually things looking better (wich is far less important than
readability). I can do that quickly if anyone is OK.

>> The links to the web interface for the mailing list are there. Click on
>> the
>> > mailing list names themselves.
>>
>> Hard time to figure I had to click on the link. That's not intuitive.
>>

> Intuition is relative.

Do you mean we should encourage people to try all the link before
finding the right content behind? None of these links clearly tell to
the user that it links to a web interface.

>> Also I don't find the markmail link.
>

> Markmail is not official.

But it was there and useful.

> Not convinced this is a big deal. How many people use the web interface to
> our mailing lists by clicking on a link, and then browsing by date? I am
> willing to bet it is only me, when totting up vote.

Or any people that want to link to a discussion on others media.

>> > I don't think we need JIRA in the top level nav. We have it in the Quick
>> > Links section.
>>
>> Quick link section is on the bottom. When I just want to put a ticket
>> I want to make it fast. That should be on top imo and really visible
>> for all. Its as important as "Download" is and probably more important
>> than the mailing lists.
>

> I think that the next step forward is to add a Quick Links header
> navigation element that would allow you to scroll to the bottom of the
> page. If anyone can get this working properly, please contribute it.

Why do i have to scroll to the bottom to find a really important link.
Opening tickets is a way to encourage people to contribute. It is also
the way we provide support. It really *must* be part of the top
navigation.

- benoît