couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:11:02 GMT
On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Bob Dionne
<dionne@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
> Benoit,
>
> Thanks for mentioning the "links" item, that should definitely be in the list. I'd be
curious to know what kind if usage the Basho folks have seen with that one.

> I think it's a good feature but I also think it kind of runs against the grain architecturally
in couchdb. Documents now are completely independent of one another which is simple. This
forces use cases that need "links" to do so in the application layer. There are many reasons
I think of that folks would want this, building trees, graphs, SQL-like queries, navigation,
etc. so I think it's a nice feature to add, *but* I would do so in a way that doesn't change
the independence of documents, .ie. make it orthogonal, a plugin to core.

> Bob

Agree.  As an implementation detail I wish we could follow a
specification to do that. Maybe HAL fits our needs instead HTTP Link
headers:

- http://stateless.co/hal_specification.html
- http://blog.stateless.co/post/13296666138/json-linking-with-hal

- benoƮt