couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Mac OS X download.
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:37:34 GMT
On 19 April 2012 15:37, Carlton Gibson <carlton.gibson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> * I'm Carlton, I'm new here. :-)

Welcome!!

> * I'm a long-time user of CouchDBX but I see that's disappeared for the now.
> * I also see on http://couchdb.apache.org a "Coming soon? Why don’t you contribute
one?" for the Mac OS X download link.

> I'm relatively new to Erlang — beginning to contribute to CouchDB is my way of making
sure I get to know it properly — but my day job is in Objective-C.

> — I'd be very happy to be part of a group to fill in the blank.

Fantastic! We have a number of other interested parties (me
@davecottlehuber @daleharvey & some others) but I've got a couple of
other bits to finish up first, (including getting a bigger SSD to
store all my couch stuff.

> 1. It would be nice to resurrect CouchDBX — or build a replacement if that's not possible.

This should be very doable using https://github.com/couchbase/couchdbx-app
If you're keen, I suggest you start off with getting this to work &
then report back on issues, here or IRC for quick questions - both
#couchdb and #couchdb-dev are good.

The erlang / couch bits are well understood and will fall into place
quickly I think with some help.

> 2. For a vanilla command-line install, are people just using homebrew? — or, what's
needed here? (Again I'm new, but keen.)

Homebrew is good, I am struggling to get the recipe committed while we
sort out an underlying erlang/openssl issue. In the meantime follow my
gist https://gist.github.com/2147079

> My hope in writing this mail is that there's someone who's thinking, I could do the Mac
build but for {A,B...N}...

My lame excuses are lack of:

(a) disk space
(b) money, see (a)