couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wickedg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: website & jira
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:30:39 GMT
I think that much of the disagreement stems from different audience /
use cases in mind when proposing changes to the web site.  I see a few
main user profiles that visitors to the website could be lumped into:

- Neophyte users who are looking for information about CouchDB to see
if it interests them; install it for the first time; upload first
data; write first view; etc.
- Slightly more experienced users who are looking for support; either
they have a question not answered by the docs, they've found a bug
they would like to report, etc.
- Contributors to the project, looking to do whatever it is they're
wanting to do today.

Looking at it from the outside, I would say that the website simply
can't meet the needs of both the first and the last group well at the
same time.  The use cases are just too different.

Also, since I think that there are at least an order of magnitude more
potential users than there are actual users, and there's another order
of magnitude more users than there are contributors, if you want the
most impact, the website needs to target potential users first and
foremost, while throwing a bone or two to current users, and totally
ignoring contributors (because honestly, you guys did fine with the
old website, and I'd bet a dollar none of you needs to have a link to
click on to get to JIRA; it's in your history, bookmarks, or is your
homepage ;).

I understand the motivation to try and get more contributors to help
the project progress, but I think that getting more users and letting
the contributors come organically will be much more sustainable than
going after contributors directly.  I could be wrong.

Either way, figuring out the target audience will probably make a lot
of these "do we need a link to JIRA; should it be called JIRA or
Issues" questions have obvious answers.

Cheers,
Eli