couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Porta <rurd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: website & jira
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:54:29 GMT
I agree regarding the differing use cases.  That is the problem exactly.  I
am not sure you could make a site that follows today's trends of "less is
more" and "creative simplicity" that also fully caters to the users, fully
caters to the developers and fully caters to the potential/new users.  That
a lot of content, not to mention several different web applications, to try
to cram into one webpage.

One thing worth pointing out is that contributing takes a higher level of
commitment on the user's part than does researching/trying CouchDB.

Someone willing to contribute would probably put up with having to spend a
few extra minutes the first time they decide to contribute.  Subsequent
visits are probably going to be via bookmarks/direct entry vs looking for
the link on the project homepage.

Basically, someone willing to contribute to the project will probably put
up with more hassle the first time than someone only interested in trying
it out.  Unfortunately, this seems a bit backwards in the whole customer
service mentality where you focus on taking care of your "valuable
customers".  But I think it makes sense to gear the site toward
newer/potential users in order to grow the user-base which will eventually
grow the number of contributors anyway.

Jonathan Porta